Wednesday, January 14, 2009

Memory Candles, Best Friend Poems and Pink Balloons

Those are the things that I remember most about my bat mitzvah...that was 20 years ago today! I wish I could say that it was more meaningful than just the big party that took place after I stood on the bimah and sang (in Hebrew, no less) in front of 200 of my closest friends and family. But I honestly was just excited about having a big party.

It wasn't a super-fancy affair. I had a luncheon after my service, complete with a band, a huge display of pink and white balloons at the front of the room, and little pads of pink paper made to look like dollar bills with my face stamped on each one as favors. Not cute.

I remember the party being really fun, and I remember that everyone loved my dress, which in retrospect was definitely more of a "night party" dress than a luncheon dress. But no matter. The important thing is that I got to party with my friends for the day, collect a lot of checks and get my very first period that night.

Yep. I became a woman that day in more ways than one.

And I bet you're thinking that I did something stupid with all the cash I got that day. Nope. I saved most of it, but spent some on a big TV and VCR for my room. So that I could record Young and the Restless and Days of Our Lives. True story.

1 comment:

Anonymous said...

Big party and lotsa cash, sounds good to me!