Tuesday, October 16, 2007

You Know What I Never Understood? Menudo

So apparently MTV is bringing back Menudo in a 'big' way. From what I'm gathering, they're putting together a special 'Making the Band' type of situation just to form a new group of Menudo boys.

Okay, I never got Menudo. Sure, they were in all of the Tiger Beat issues that I collected as a young pup, but I never really got their appeal. I didn't ever think any of them were remotely attractive in the same way I thought, say, Rob Lowe and John Stamos were. I never heard any of their songs on my radio stations. And they kept changing! Once one of those boys turned a certain age, they were booted from the group. I never understood that. If you make music together, you make music together. You don't kick someone out of your group because they reach puberty.

So, please tell me if any of you listened to Menudo, loved Menudo, can explain Menudo to me...because I DON'T GET IT.

4 comments:

Amy Anderson said...

I think I liked their hot latino smolder. But, then again, I was a preteen and what did I know.

I didn't know they were bringing them back. I don't think it'll work.

Lauren said...

I always skipped past the Menudo photos in Tiger Beat. But I think they were pretty big with Latinos. (shrug)

I think it might actually work, though, bringing them back. Wish I had thought of it. ;)

Erika said...

I never liked them much either, but I remember one of their videos getting played a lot on Saturday mornings between shows to try and drum up some interest.

Given the huge (and growing) Latin population in this country, I'm not surprised MTV is cashing in.

Erika said...

Dude, I just remembered. Wasn't Ricky Martin in Menudo? And we all know how he ended up.