Wednesday, October 3, 2007

Weird Childhood Behavior

I don't know what made me think of this, but my mind goes in weird directions pretty often, so I'm not surprised.

When I was in kindergarden, my teacher, Miss Belk, had this activity where she'd offer individual students the opportunity to ask her the meaning of a word, and then from the definition, that student would create a painting to personify it. It was kind of a cute idea, and most of my classmates asked about words like 'dog' and 'cat'. Probably not because they needed to know what the word 'dog' or 'cat' meant, but because they knew how to paint a really good dog or cat and wanted to have some beautiful art to take home for Mommy and Daddy to fawn over.

So one day it was my turn to ask Miss Belk about the meaning of a word. I thought really long and hard about it. Probably a full three minutes. Then I asked her to explain the definition of 'committee.' I will never forget how surprised Miss Belk looked when I told her that. As a five-year-old, I don't know where I had heard that word, or why I was interested in that word in particular. But I do remember her explaining it to me, and afterwards, I painted a large picture of a bunch of people's heads.

I am such a weirdo.

5 comments:

wassygirl said...

you are a weirdo. it was probably because your parents read to you when you were little. do you think that picture still exists? i'd like to see it.

Erika said...

OMG, I love that story. JUST LOVE IT!

Kind of makes me think of something my daughter would come up with. She's always using words beyond her comprehension.

Man, you were such a smartie!

wassygirl said...

key word "were"

MBS said...

That's awesome.

(It's Marla from NMD just in case you were curious, trying not to 'lurk' so much..lol)

MBS said...
This comment has been removed by the author.