Thursday, October 16, 2008

Amazing What a Little Time Will Do

My sister went back to work today after being on maternity leave for 3+ months. She says she's doing well and that everyone is being really nice. I'm sure it can't be easy, though.

I remember my first day back to work. Hell, it wasn't that long ago, but it feels like forever. I cried pretty much all day. I've got no shame. I cried as soon as I walked in and saw my boss. G-d bless her, she just walked up and gave me a hug. It was definitely appreciated. Every time someone asked me how I was doing, I would cry. Ugh. What a day.

I cried a lot that first week, and felt really sad for the next couple of weeks, too. But after that, I started to feel much better. It helps that I really love all the people in my department. They made it much easier to come to work every day.

And now? I'm SO excited to get home to see my baby. His smile when he sees me walk through the door is the best gift I've ever gotten (although, Brian, if you're reading this, I'd love a nice pair of diamond earrings).

So what I'm trying to say is, I never thought it would be true, but it actually DOES get easier. This working mom thing.

3 comments:

Erika said...

You're absolutely right. It does get easier. But I'll warn you, if you have another baby, you go through it all again and it's even a little worse. (At least it was for me...)

I had a very hard time the first few days back this time too and my office manager knew NOT to ask me how I was. Having a place you like working totally helps. Glad you're through the transition - it totally sucks in the beginning.

wassygirl said...

it is really hard. i've been having a lot of stomach issues since coming back to work. and, i pretty much raced home yesterday only to find that he was napping. and i cried because i couldn't see him right away. when he woke up he nursed for a really long time- i guess to be close to me. and then he kept spitting up because he ate way too much. which made me feel really guilty.

Jen said...

I'm glad to hear it is better. I might need to know that one day!