Wednesday, October 15, 2008

Fabulous Weekend

Yes, I realize it's Wednesday, but I'm just now getting the time to post about the fabulous weekend I had in New York City with my sisters-in-law.

We stayed with my SIL M's parents' friends in an amazing loft in Chelsea. It was beautiful, really eclectic and large. We had our own room away from our hosts' bedroom, which was good because we poured ourselves into bed around 3 a.m. Sunday morning. I haven't done that in, well, years.

SIL T and I each brought up a bottle of champagne. We cracked both of those open on the train ride up, which was at 7:04 Saturday morning. I couldn't believe I was actually doing that! What, was I back in college? (Although in college I would have been cracking open a beer instead of a bottle of champagne.) By the time we got up to NYC two and half hours later, we were tipsy, tipsy, tipsy.

We made our way to our Chelsea accomodations and proceeded to open another bottle of wine with our lovely hostess. She had a fantastic New York accent and liked to talk politics. Turns out she's stumping for Obama. Did you know he's a smoker?? I had no idea.

Our hostess was going to the gym, so she left us to our own devices. We got ourselves together and went shopping. We shopped all. day. long. It was fabulous. We also had a really overpriced lunch in Soho, but that's okay. We had a good time. M and I got fabulous dresses to wear for our big Saturday night out - Nobu at 6:15.

The three of us got back to the loft and started to get ready. We had some wine and cheese with our hosts and then had to drag M out of the apartment. She was running a bit late. So we didn't get to take pictures of ourselves all dolled up. Which is really a shame, because we looked hot.

We made it to Nobu and had the most fabulous meal. It was seriously the best meal I've ever had. We got pretty drunk at dinner, and noticed a group at the table next to ours. M asked T to go ask the group where we should head after dinner. Next thing I know, the three of us are crammed at their table, each taking a shot of saki. The group was two local couples and they were sweet as can be.

M went to the ladies room with the two wives and suddenly T and I were being propositioned by the husbands. I felt bad for the wives, truthfully. Especially since one offered me a bit of her chocolate cake. But oh well. We took the group up on their recommendation to go to Tenjune in the Meatpacking District.

We.Had.A.Blast. We got more wine and met different people. We all ended up talking to this guy from London who was in town on business. He was my age, so it wasn't creepy. The two of us talked about music mostly and he told me abou this girlfriend. I showed him pictures of Tucker. He was really lovely. One highlight of the night is when M gave me some Tic Tacs. She put some in her mouth, and then immediately spit them out and threw them over the bar's railing onto some people below. It was pretty funny.

After we accidentally got into a Lincoln Towncar instead of a regular cab to get home, we got into bed. I think I managed to wash my face. I was sure I was going to throw up the next morning...But I didn't! We all woke up with headaches, but generally felt pretty okay. We had bagels with our hosts and then went out to shop some more. We were all pretty tired at that point, so we stopped for lunch and sat at the bar (and drank water) for a couple of hours. By then, it was time to get ready to get back to the train.

All told, it was really a fabulous weekend. I'm so glad I went with the girls. It was funny, people kept acting so surprised when we said that we were sisters-in-law and that we all got along. I guess that's a rarity these days. Anyway, I can't wait to do it again next year.

But boy, did I miss my husband and little babe.

1 comment:

Jen said...

So what you're saying is that you lived a Sex in the City episode.

**Jealous!**