Wednesday, January 30, 2008

Close Call!

So I went in for my 1-hour glucose test this past Friday to check for gestational diabetes. After buying two cartons of Edy's ice cream this weekend (whatever, they were on sale and they are American Idol flavors, thank you very much), I found out on Monday that I failed! So I had to go back for a three-hour test, which is, in a word, NOT FUN. Okay, that was two words.

For those of you who aren't familiar with this test, you first get your blood drawn to get a base reading on your blood sugar levels. Then you drink the sweetest, most disgusting bug juice you've ever had in your life. Then you sit for an hour and have more blood drawn. Then wait another hour and have even more blood drawn. Then wait an hour after that and have blood drawn again! Suffice it to say that I now look like a pregnant addict.

The good news is that I got my results today and I passed! Woo hoo! Now I can eat all that American Idol ice cream. Not that it would have gone to waste...my husband would have made sure of that.

On a totally unrelated note, I was on my way to the subway this morning. I was almost there, and was stopped at a red light. I look over to my passenger seat to make sure I have everything...bag of food, check. Purse...no check. Where the hell was my purse?? Yeah...It was still sitting on my kitchen table where I left it before running out of the house. So back I go. I was so irritated. Pregnancy brain at its finest. But at least I had my food with me - I know where my priorities are.

1 comment:

Erika said...

WTG on passing the GTT - but sorry you had to do the 3 hour. Just thinking about having to do a 3 hour makes me queasy. That's way too long in pregnancy to go w/o real food.