Thursday, January 31, 2008

Neti Pot Tales

Never heard of a neti pot? Actually, mine has changed my life. But seriously, it does the grossest thing I've ever experienced.

Confused? Here's a little background. I've been having some sinus problems lately. I had a couple of colds, and each time I got over them, the nasal stuffiness just lingered for days on end. It made sleeping impossible. No amount of nose blowing worked. It was just miserable.

Until I discovered the wonder that is the neti pot. I'd heard about them, and had even contemplated buying one for years. But...I don't know. I was chicken. Even watching Dr. Oz make some poor audience member demonstrate its use on the Oprah show didn't make me want to rush right out and buy one. But finally I did.

Apparently there is a practice of neti that has been around for centuries. I guess the most devoted people use oils and such in their neti pots, but really, that's just weird.

I bet you're all still confused. Let me explain what a neti pot is used for. In a nutshell, it's a little pot that irrigates your sinuses. And here's how you do it.

Fill the little pot (it looks like a teapot) with warm distilled water mixed with a little bit of regular old table salt. Stick the pot's spout up one of your nostrils. Tilt your head to the side and forward (just a little!) and watch as the water pours into one nostril and comes out the other. Repeat on the other side. Then exhale - hard. And watch what comes out of your nose. It's unreal. Oh wait. Don't forget to do this over a sink. (Just in case you're a little slow)

Holy shit. This practice of neti has made a world of difference in my life. I can breathe at night, which means I can sleep. I'm not embarrassed in restaurants as I mouth-breathe and eat at the same time (ew). I am 100% thrilled with my $17.95 purchase. You can pick one of these babies up at WholeFoods.

The only problem I've experience so far is that if I tilt my head a certain way, I feel like I'm drowning myself since the water gets sort of backed up in my head.

3 comments:

bird said...

I thought you had to use a different kind of salt. I've heard amazing things about the neti.

Erika said...

I told you the sinus rinse would change your life! My sinus headaches in this pregnancy have been less intense than in my last two thanks to that wonderful rinse I do every night. And after you do it a while, you don't get quite as much junk out. (And then you don't have as many boogies to pick either, but not everyone likes to pick their nose, so it's a toss up if that's a good thing or a bad thing.)

Erika said...

Okay, so how many weeks are you now?? You have no ticker to aid my memory!