Tuesday, January 15, 2008

I'm Slowly Going Crazy, Or How Elton John and Mary J. Blige Affected My Morning

I was driving along to the subway today, driving, driving, driving, when I decided to pop in the CD that my friend Shana made me. It's a really good one. Thanks, Shana!

I listened to some Coldplay, some Cure...good stuff. Then comes that Elton John classic, "I Guess That's Why They Call It the Blues." It's the live version duet with Mary J. Blige. It's really really good. If you've never heard it, get yourself to iTunes and download it. You won't be sorry.

I have always loved this song, Mary J. Blige or not. I'm a big Elton John fan. Don't get me started.

But anyway, the song is going on...and all the sudden I find myself crying. I really truly finally UNDERSTOOD why they call it the blues. I couldn't believe I was crying! You have to understand, I'm not that big of a cryer.

I almost turned my car around and went home to curl up in a ball and meditate on the meaning, the true meaning, of that song. Instead, I drove to the damn subway station and got on a train. And then I was REALLY depressed. At least I know my hormones are flying all over the place, as they should be.

1 comment:

wassygirl said...

that's ok- i cried this morning thinking about the time that in high school that your friends called into a radio station to wish you a happy birthday. (do you remember that or am i making that up?)

it's heather's birthday tomorrow, y'all!