Friday, September 4, 2009

I Quit Coffee. Kind Of.

I had to quit coffee. It wasn't hard in the least, which leads me to the conclusion that I wasn't addicted in the first place. I had been drinking the stuff for less than a year, and the main reason I started was because my office acquired a Keurig coffee machine and it was such a neato gadget that I had to try it out. Repeatedly.

I happen to love the taste of coffee, but coffee itself makes me all jittery and nuts. I ignored all that and went ahead with a daily (or two) cup of Keurig-made goodness. After awhile, it became part of my morning routine at work.

When I went to work at my client's over the summer, my coffee habit followed me there. And sure, the coffee would wake me up and keep me awake for a good few hours, but then I found myself needing another cup in the middle of the afternoon. And I wondered why I couldn't fall asleep at night.

Besides wakefulness when I'd rather be asleep, I began to notice that I had heartburn a lot more often. And I just generally wasn't feeling up to par.

And that, my friends, is when I decided to quit coffee. I quit while on vacation. It was so easy. I never had headaches, was never cranky (well, no more cranky than usual), and I fell asleep with no problems.

I came back to my regular office determined to continue my coffee-free lifestyle. I made myself a cup that first day back, and couldn't even finish it. It tasted like ass. So I started drinking the green tea that I found in my stash at my desk. And I have to say, I feel so.much.better.

And then...pumpkin spice lattes returned for the fall to Starbucks. I had one today...decaf.

No comments: