Monday, September 14, 2009

Kind of a Weird Day

It's Monday, which automatically puts me in a bad mood. But the situation got a bit worse later this morning. We have a 10-story garage attached to our 12-story building here at work. And sometime this morning, an older woman drove up to the top of the garage, where no other cars were parked, locked her car, and proceeded to jump off the building.

No one from my office actually saw her jump, which is pretty crazy considering several of my coworkers were in a meeting in a conference room that overlooks the top of the garage where the woman parked. Still, no one saw her jump, but one coworker did see her body on the ground below before it was covered with a white sheet.

When I finally went over to look out the window onto the scene below, I was shocked. I could plainly make out the body under that white sheet. A hand was sticking partially out. But the strangest part was that the woman's purse lay next to her, its strap broken. I'm not sure how that happened.

But it made me wonder why the woman would take her purse with her when she jumped. And what would make her do that in the first place? To jump off the roof of a parking garage in the middle of a tourist trap...granted the side of the garage she chose to jump from faces an alleyway and isn't in the middle of the busy street.

In any event, we don't know much more about what happened, and I don't know that we ever will. It's unsettling. What would make this woman do such a thing? It seems like she did so calmly, as if it were part of an everyday routine. I can't stop thinking about this, and I can't shake the weird-icky feeling I've had all day since.

No comments: