Tuesday, June 12, 2007

I Just...Ate A Bug!

The title is a reference to the classic Goldie Hawn/Kurt Russell romp 'Overboard.'

But I really did just eat a bug! Well, sort of.

I went home at lunchtime and as I walked out the door to go back to my car and head off to work, my mouth was open. Yes, I frequently hang out with my mouth half-open. It's a family trait.

Anyway, I breathed in and immediately felt something weird go down my throat. I started gagging a little, but nothing came back up. So then I started swallowing a whole bunch to see if it would just go down. Then I got scared. What if whatever I swallowed was poisonous? Was I going to die at work later? Great. My worry didn't matter, though, because the little whatever-it-was stayed firmly in the back of my throat, making it tickle.

So on my way I went, and as I was driving up the road, I started coughing. Then I started making hock-a-loogie sounds. And then I felt a little something come up! I spit it into my hand. Ew! In the middle of my palm lay a little drowned nameless bug, its legs all shriveled up in the liquid. I threw him out the window and drove back to work, a little disconcerted about what I'd just done.

I've heard that over the course of a lifetime, a person will swallow 8 spiders. I guess this counts as one. Hopefully I've already swallowed 7 in my sleep.

2 comments:

Amy Anderson said...

LOL!

Erika said...

OMG! That's awful....spitting in your hand while driving is pretty funny too.

During the recent cicada outbreak a few years ago, I was driving to work and one flew in my sunroof, decapitated itself in the process, and part of it went down my shirt (CLEVAGE!) and the other part was in my back seat. Nothing like a oozing cicada between your boobs to start the morning off right. (I almost crashed!)