Thursday, May 31, 2007

Oh, the Humanity...

I am completely disgusted by the situation going on with the guy who was diagnosed with a particularly dangerous strain of TB and the CDC's efforts to quarantine him. Whether or not the CDC communicated effectively this guy's need not to travel, he should have known better. That is an understatement. What this guy did, in my opinion, is knowlingly and recklessly endanger the lives of people because he was too selfish to postpone his plans. So the guy's wedding and honeymoon were over in Europe. He could have put those plans off, given the fact that he has a life-threatening, CONTAGIOUS illness that could endanger the lives of fellow passengers aboard the two flights he was on. Not to mention the fact that he was possibly spreading disease in more than one foreign country...isn't that frowned upon? Even if he didn't know the severity of his situation before boarding his first flight to Paris, when the CDC caught up with him by cell phone in Rome and told him they would figure out a way to get him home safely BUT TOLD HIM NOT TO BOARD HIS FLIGHT, this genius decided that being 'stuck' in Italy was too much for him and 'snuck' on board. Those are his words. Asshole.

Yes, the CDC should have done a better job of flagging this person, there is no question. But this guy is a selfish prick, even if the risk of other passengers contracting TB are pretty low. I am thoroughly disgusted. I think I already said that.

But karma is a bitch.

2 comments:

Erika said...

Did you know if you test positive for TB - even if you're not symptomatic, it's like 9 months of antibiotics??? GAH!

I agree w/ you on this especially considering there was a story last month about a girl who was made to get off a plane b/c she was coughing so badly - and she just had a bad cold. Weird, I tell ya!

Amy Anderson said...

Yeah, I'm pretty furious about it myself. But you're right, Karma IS a bitch and she'll get him good, I bet.